Caramel Apple Upside Cake is a moist apple cake filled with apple chunks and brown sugar caramel that is baked with lots of brown sugar caramel apple slices. This cake will not disappoint any of your friends and family. The perfect cake recipe for your next party!
Soooo I kind of go through phases of being obsessed with something. Like my obsession with layer cakes or my obsession with blondies or obsession with cookies.. you get the point right?! Well recently it has been cooked apples, I mean gaaaaaah they are sooo freaking good. And caramel and apples?! Oh, I lose my mind. I realize I am talking about food here and I am sorry but honestly caramel and apples…oh so amazing!!
You see Friday was my friend/co worker Tammys Birthday so I knew I wanted to make a cake and I just happened to make a Cadburys Chocolate Layer Cake the day before for my Fathers birthday so naturally, a fruitcake would be best after the overload of chocolate we were experiencing.
This cake was more than I could have imagined. The caramel apples were perfect, literally amazing. And the brown sugar caramel was out of this world! Originally I wanted to make some Salted Caramel Sauce for this cake but when I went to grab some granulated sugar I had only about 1/4 cup left but had 4 bags of powdered sugar and 4 bags of brown sugar!! Typical! But it made me make brown sugar caramel and I LOOOOOOVED it!
I made the caramel the night before so when I made the cake it was super easy to put together. But you could very easily make the caramel first then make the cake right after.
I took the cake to work first but snagged a little piece to come home and photograph. We enjoyed the cake cold with more brown sugar caramel drizzled on top and of course a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Lez be honest ice cream is a fabulous addition to most cakes! After I photographed the pieces at home I decided to warm it up with vanilla ice cream. And now I am stumped, I do not know which I like better cold or warm?! Oh, the decisions! I cannot wait to make this again!!
I hope you give this delicious Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake a try, you will love it. If you do, please leave a review! I would love to hear your comments!
One Year Ago: Double Chocolate Toffee Cookies
Three Years Into The Future: Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk CookiesPrint
Caramel Apple Cake is a moist apple cake filled with apple chunks and brown sugar caramel that is baked with lots of brown sugar caramel apple slices. This cake will not disappoint any of your friends and family. The perfect cake recipe for your next party!
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 medium size Granny Smith apples
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick butter melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cut in chunks
- 1/2 cup Caramel (see above recipe)
- Cook brown sugar and butter until reaches in a thick bottomed saucepan until the temperature reaches 320F, (be careful, as can burn easily) then add cream, whisk vigorously until completely combined. Set aside and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 10 inch round cake pan at least 2 1/2 inches deep.
- Peel and chop 4 medium-sized Granny Smith apples. Cut 2 apples into 1/2 inch slices and 2 into 1/4 inch slices. In a medium saucepan cook, 1/2 cup of the caramel and the 1/2 inch apple slices for 4 minutes add in the remaining apple slice and stir until apples are evenly coated. Pour into prepared pan.
- In a medium-sized bowl mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs and sugars for 2 minutes on medium speed. Add in melted butter and vanilla. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, fold in chopped apples. Scoop 1/2 cups worth of teaspoon size balls of caramel into the batter. Pour batter on top of apple mixture and bake for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool on wire rack for 20 minutes then place a large serving plate on the top of cake pan and flip cake. Drizzle reaming caramel sauce on top if you want.
Keywords: apple cake, caramel apple, upside down cake, birthday cake, one layer cake, easy cake, fruit cake
Adapted from Cooks Illustrated