Buttery Shortbread Crust, topped with Salted Caramel, finished with chocolate and sprinkle of sea salt, this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe is the Best! Perfect for a bake sale or your next party!
When I was growing up my aunty would make millionaire’s shortbread occasionally. My mom made shortbread all the time. Brown Butter Shortbread is also a love of mine. But Millionaire’s Shortbread is so special. I love millionaire’s shortbread. So darn good. Caramel, shortbread and chocolate? Sign me the heck up!!
It recently occurred to me adding sea salt would probably be an amazing idea. It was. I died, went to heaven and indulged on three million bars of these.
This is super easy to make, the only time-consuming part is making the caramel layer. Stirring a pot of caramel over a hot stove will make you hot. But worth it. Sooooooo worth it.
To ensure success I highly recommend using an instant-read thermometer. I get SOOO much use out of my Thermapen Mk4 (affiliate link). From cooking filet mignon, tempering chocolate, roast turkey, making caramel and more! )
Not to mention this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe is a perfect Christmas treat for friends and family! The recipe makes lots of little bars, by all means, eat them all yourself just be prepared for a sugar coma!!
Please let me know if you make this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread bar recipe by leaving a review below!Print
Buttery Shortbread Crust, topped with Salted Caramel, finished with chocolate and sprinkle of sea salt, this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe is the Best!
- 6.25oz (1 1/2 Scant Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 1.75oz (1/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 4oz (8 Tbsp/ 1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 7oz ( 1 Scant Cup) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3.5oz (1/2 Cup) Brown sugar
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Heavy Cream
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Light Corn Syrup
- 2oz (4 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 5.5oz (1 Scant Cup) Semi-Sweet Chocolate (4 oz chopped fine, 1.5 oz grated)
- Sea Salt for sprinkling on top of bars
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 9X9 pan with foil so the foil overhangs.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir buttery is fully combined, the crumbs will be moist. Press dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Press dough to create an even layer, then use a fork to prick the dough every inch.
- Send to oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. Then let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- In a large heavy bottom pan add condensed milk, brown sugar, heavy cream, corn syrup, and unsalted butter. Over medium heat stir often until mixture register to 236F to 240F degrees*(see note). This will take about 15- 20 minutes of stirring.
- Once the temperature is reached take off heat and add the sea salt. Then pour the caramel over the shortbread crust.
- Using a double boiler or microwave melt the first 4 oz of chocolate being careful not to burn, then add the grated chocolate to the melted chocolate. Spread chocolate over the caramel layer and sprinkle with sea salt. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes, until set. Cut into bars and store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
*I highly suggest using an instant-read thermometer to ensure success my favorite is my Thermapen Mk4
Keywords: dessert, bars, sweet and salty, twix recipe, british recipes, millionaires shortbread
Recipe Slightly Adapted from : Cooks Illustrated
Fan of Salted Caramel?
Salted Caramel Upside Down Apple Pie