Lately all I have been doing is eating ice cream or fro yo. Or tons of fruit- is it just me or are raspberries AMAZING this time of year. I seriously eat a whole container for breakfast and then by lunch I want more. I cannot get enough. Surely I will over do it, but for now I’ll just enjoy it 🙂
The countdown is on for my European adventure 🙂 I cannot wait to see my nan in England and then off to Barcelona for a few days then on a cruise around the Mediterranean which ends in Venice and back to England for a bit. I am going with my sister and our friend Amy. I am so excited for Amy, especially since has never been to Europe. I think this trip is going to be one for the books 😉
On to the reason this post is here…berry sweet rolls. They are absolutely delicious. When I rolled out the dough, added the berries and then rolled them up to cut the red juices started squirting out every where-looking like I just cut myself. Luckily they didn’t stain 🙂 At midnight on a wednesday night I found myself laughing at this.
This is the same dough I used in my favorite Cinnamon Rolls, it is so easy to make. So soft and moist, seriously I la la love it!! And making rolls is so easy. I love to make them on the night to make for an easy delicious breakfast.
I used Organic Mixed Berries from Trader Joe’s- strawberries, blackberries, blueberries and raspberries and also some extra frozen blueberries from Costco. There were tucked inside this gorgeous dough, baked to perfection and drizzles with a lemon cream cheese glaze. One of my new favorites for breakfast. Honestly, delicious.
As pathetic as I am I actually didn’t feel to0 guilty eating these because there was fruit in them. Crazy? I know. How do I feel guilty eating Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese frosting but not about eating Berry Sweet Rolls with a Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze? It makes no sense at all but in my screwed up mind it does 😉
Moist, soft dough is filled with juicy strawberries, blueberries, blackberries and raspberries. Drizzled with a tangy lemon cream cheese glaze.
- 1 package instant dry yeast
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp warm water (110F-115F)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 4 1/2 tsp tsp nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 – 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups mixed frozen berries
- 2 heaping tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 8oz block cream cheese, at room temp.
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- In the bowl of an electric mixer dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, butter, milk powder, salt and two cups of flour. Mix until smooth. Slowly add in remaining flour to form a soft (not super sticky) dough. If using a dough hook, switch out the mixer hook and knead for 5-6 minutes in the electric mixer. I take the dough out of the mixer every minute or so and knead by hand. If not using a dough hook put the dough on a floured work surface and knead for 5-6 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200F and then turn oven OFF. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place the dough inside.Place a clean kitchen towel on top of bowl and place bowl in warm but not on oven.
- In a medium sized bowl mix frozen berries, cornstarch and sugar. Set aside.
- Check dough after an hour it should have doubled in size, punch down. Grease a 9×13 baking pan and set aside.
- Place dough on a floured work surface, roll dough into a 16inchX 12inch rectangle. Sprinkle berries evenly over dough. Roll tightly and cut into 12 equal size pieces. At this point I wrap in plastic wrap and place in fridge over night.
- In the morning take out rolls and cream cheese and set on the counter to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 350F and bake rolls for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat cream cheese for two minutes, slowly add in powdered sugar, lemon juice and extract.
- Once rolls have cooled for 10 minutes drizzle glaze on top. Enjoy 🙂
Adapted from Cinnamon Rolls