Rich & moist chocolate cake is filled with juicy strawberries, fresh whipped cream and loads of chocolate ganache you will love this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake! Perfect for a special birthday cake or party!
Driving home from work today I found myself daydreaming about cake. Something I often do. Food obsessed much? Anyways I started dreaming of strawberries. I bought a large pack of strawberries from Costco the other day and the strawberries are so good!
When I grew up we always had strawberries. My mom would cut them up and sprinkle a little sugar on top and store them in the fridge. I often found myself searching for the strawberry with the most sugar granules on. I know, I know, strawberries are sweet on there on but you all must know by now I have a strange addiction to sugar!
Back to these strawberries from Costco- they are so sweet. I couldn’t stop eating them. Literally. So I decided to make a cake as well. I was craving fresh whipped cream and chocolate covered strawberries so I combined the ideas.
How you make chocolate cake?
Chocolate cake takes only simple ingredients. Start off by mixing your dry ingredients. In a large bowl sift together your sugar, all-purpose flour, dutch process cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Then in another large bowl combine your eggs, vegetable oil, milk and sour cream. Add your dry ingredients into the wet slowly mixing to combine. Pour into two greased 9-inch round cake pans (affiliate link) and bake in a 350F oven on the middle rack. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set the cakes aside to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes then invert to cool completely.
Once your cakes are completely cool start on your whipped cream and chocolate ganache.
How do you make whipped cream?
Make your whipped cream. I always place my metal mixing bowl and metal whisk in the freezer or fridge for ten minutes before I start the whipping. Add your whipping cream, powdered sugar and a bit of dry milk powder (this helps stabilize the cream a bit) to your chilled bowl and beat on medium speed for 5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. The slower you beat your cream to whipped cream the more stabilized it will be. Once the cream is whipped set it back in the fridge while you make your ganache.
How do you make Chocolate Ganache?
Heat your heavy cream in a microwave-safe bowl or in a small pot over low heat. Heat until warmed up, not boiling. Pour over chopped chocolate or chocolate chips. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then use a whisk and mix together, until you get a smooth glossy texture.
How do you assemble this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake?
On a serving platter/cake plate/ cake board (affiliate link) place, the first layer of chocolate cake spread with all of the whipped cream, place a layer of sliced strawberries on top of whipped cream- making sure to make it even for the next layer of cake. Then place the second chocolate cake layer and drizzle top with chocolate ganache. Place fresh strawberries on top. Store in fridge.
The fresh cream is fabulous alongside the rich chocolate cake and juicy strawberries.
These Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake is part of the Chocolate Party hosted by Roxanas Home Baking. I joined the party in February and I have loved each month. Be sure to check out Roxanas Chocolate Strawberry Roll and see all of the other bloggers involved in the chocolate party!
Please let me know if you make this Strawberries & Cream Chocolate Cake recipe!Print
Rich & moist chocolate cake is filled with juicy strawberries, fresh whipped cream and loads of chocolate ganache you will love this Strawberries and Cream Chocolate Cake! Perfect for a special birthday cake or party! Make this cake even easier and use a chocolate cake mix.
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs, at room temp.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 sour cream
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 regular sized container strawberries, cleaned and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease two 9 inch round pans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl sift together the sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and baking powder. Mix to combine. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs, oil, milk and sour cream mix until fully combined. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Mix until fully incorporated. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- Once cakes are cool make the ganache. In a small saucepan heat heavy cream for 4-6 minutes. In a medium-sized bowl pour in chocolate chips and pour heavy cream on top of chocolate. Let sit for 3 minutes then stir until completely combined. The hot cream will melt the chocolate. Once combined set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment mix together powdered sugar and heavy cream until stiff peaks form.
- On a serving platter/cake plate place the first layer of chocolate cake, spread with all whipped cream, place a layer of strawberries on top of whipped cream place second chocolate cake layer and drizzle top with chocolate ganache. Place fresh strawberries on top. Store in fridge.
Keywords: chocolate cake recipe, chocolate birthday cake, strawberries & cream chocolate cake
Mmm the last bite..
Want another bite of cake?