Buttery Shortbread Crust, topped with Salted Caramel, finished with chocolate and sprinkle of sea salt, this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe is the Best! Perfect for a bake sale or your next party!
When I was growing up my aunty would make millionaire’s shortbread occasionally. My mom made shortbread all the time. Brown Butter Shortbread is also a love of mine. But Millionaire’s Shortbread is so special. I love millionaire’s shortbread. So darn good. Caramel, shortbread and chocolate? Sign me the heck up!!
It recently occurred to me adding sea salt would probably be an amazing idea. It was. I died, went to heaven and indulged on three million bars of these.
This is super easy to make, the only time-consuming part is making the caramel layer. Stirring a pot of caramel over a hot stove will make you hot. But worth it. Sooooooo worth it.
What are the ingredients for Salted Millionaires Shortbread?
- All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- Granulated Sugar/ Caster Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
- Brown sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream/ Double Cream
- Light Corn Syrup
- Unsalted Butter
- Sea Salt/Fleur de Sel
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate (4 oz chopped fine, 1.5 oz grated)
- Sea Salt for sprinkling on top of bars
How do you make Salted Millionaires Shortbread?
We are going to start with the shortbread crust.
Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line a 9X9 pan with foil so the foil overhangs. This helps you easily lift the bars out of the pan.
In a large bowl mix together the all-purpose flour/plain flour, granulated sugar, and salt.
To the flour mixture add the melted butter and mix until fully combined.
Press the dough into the bottom of prepared pan. Use your palm to press the dough to create an even layer, then use a fork to prick the dough every inch.
Place in the oven to bake for 20-25 minutes. Then let cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
In a large heavy
Once the temperature is reached take off heat immediately.
Pour the caramel evenly over the cooled crust and use a spatula to spread it in an even layer.
Sprinkle sea salt on top of caramel, depending on how salt you like it 1 1/2 Teaspoons to 1 Tablespoon of fleur de sel .
To make the chocolate topping chop chocolate into small pieces. You can use a bain marie or microwave to melt the chocolate. To create a bain marie place a small pot filled with a small amount of water topped with a heat proof bowl with chocolate- make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water. Let the steam of the simmering water melt the chocolate.
If microwaving melt on 50% power for 15 second increments, mixing in between. Which ever method you use be careful not to overheat, once chocolate burns there is no going back.
Once chocolate is melted add finely chopped chocolate to help temper the chocolate. Mix for a few minutes or until all chocolate is melted. Pour on top of caramel layer and spread to create an even layer.
Sprinkle another teaspoon or two of sea salt on top and set aside to set for 1 hour. You can place them in the fridge for 15 minutes to speed up the process.
To ensure success I highly recommend using an instant-read thermometer. I get SOOO much use out of my Thermapen Mk4 (affiliate link). From cooking filet mignon, tempering chocolate, roast turkey, making caramel and more! )
Not to mention this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe is a perfect Christmas treat for friends and family! The recipe makes lots of little bars, by all means, eat them all yourself just be prepared for a sugar coma!!
Please let me know if you make this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread bar recipe by leaving a review below!Print
Buttery Shortbread Crust, topped with Salted Caramel, finished with chocolate and sprinkle of sea salt, this Salted Millionaire’s Shortbread Recipe is the Best!
- 6.25oz (1 1/2 Scant Cup) All-Purpose Flour/ Plain Flour
- 1.75oz (1/4 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- Pinch of Salt
- 4oz (8 Tbsp/ 1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 7oz ( 1 Scant Cup) Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 3.5oz (1/2 Cup) Brown sugar
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Heavy Cream
- 2oz (1/4 Cup) Light Corn Syrup
- 2oz (4 Tbsp) Unsalted Butter
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- 5.5oz (1 Scant Cup) Semi-Sweet Chocolate (4 oz chopped fine, 1.5 oz grated)
- Sea Salt for sprinkling on top of bars
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C and line a 9X9″ pan with foil so the foil overhangs.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, sugar, and salt. Add the melted butter and stir gently until fully combined, the crumbs will be moist. Press the dough into the bottom of the prepared pan. Use your clean hand to press dough down to create an even layer, then use a fork to prick the dough every inch.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-23 minutes, until lightly golden brown. Let pan cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- In a large heavy bottom pan add the sweetened condensed milk, brown sugar, heavy cream, corn syrup, and unsalted butter. Over medium heat stir often until mixture register to 236F/113C to 240F/115C degrees*(see note). This will take about 15- 20 minutes of stirring.
- Once the temperature is reached take the pot off the heat. Carefully pour the caramel over the shortbread crust and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Using a double boiler or microwave melt the first 4 oz of chocolate being careful not to burn, then add the grated chocolate to the melted chocolate. Mixing until everything is melted.
- Spread chocolate over the caramel layer and sprinkle with sea salt. Place the pan in the fridge for 1t minutes and then let set on the counter for an hour to set completely. Cut into bars and store in airtight container for up to 1 week.
*I highly suggest using an instant-read thermometer to ensure success my favorite is my Thermapen Mk4
Keywords: twix recipe, british recipes, millionaires shortbread
Recipe Slightly Adapted from : Cooks Illustrated
Post originally published on November 6, 2016, the text and photos have been updated