Tangy Homemade Lemon Curd is so easy to make and miles better than the jarred versions! This simple lemon curd recipe uses your normal suspects and produces a tangy not overly sweet curd! Perfect for tarts, pies, Eton mess, or cheesecake!
- 6oz Lemon Juice (approx. 3 large lemons)
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 4 Large Eggs + 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 7oz Sugar
- 2oz Unsalted Butter (cut into small cubes)
- 1.5oz Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- In a nonreactive pan over medium heat place the lemon juice and zest, just to warm not boil.
- In a nonreactive bowl mix together the eggs, egg yolks and sugar. Whisking until fully combined.
- Slowly pour a small amount of the warmed lemon mixture into egg mixture whisking until combined and add remained of the warm lemon mixture (this ensure the eggs are tempered, not scrambled!)
- Once all of the lemon and egg mixture are fully combined add it all back to the pan and place over medium heat, stir continuously with a wooden spoon. Cook for 2-3 minutes the temperature should be around 170F and when you draw a line with a spoon a line that quickly covers itself up should form. You will notice the mixture has thickened up but still smooth.
- Take off heat and immediately stir in butter cubes to bring the temperature down. Once butter is fully combined add heavy cream, vanilla extract, and salt.
- Pour into a container and cover with plastic wrap that is directly on to of the lemon curd. You want it fully covered so a skin does not form on top. Chill for at least 2 hours. Use within 3 days.
*Total Time includes Chill Time
*Recipe can be halved, I just love loads of lemon curd!
Keywords: afternoon tea recipe, lemon custard recipe