A delicious fail-proof recipe for pumpkin pie. Easily made a day or two ahead of time this pumpkin pie recipe is the best! Perfect for Thanksgiving dessert.
- 1- 9 inch pie crust
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 Large Egg Yolks
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla extract
- 5oz Milk
- 7oz Heavy Cream
- 15oz Pure Pumpkin Pure
- 15oz Candied Yams, drained
- 150 grams (3/4 cup) Granulated Sugar
- 2oz (1/4 cup) Pure Maple Syrup
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 Teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice*
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- Roll your pie crust on to a 9-inch pie dish. Create a design if desired and prick all over with a fork. Place pie dish in the fridge to chill while you preheat the oven to 400F/205C. Cover pie with a pie of foil loosely tucked in and place pie weights , dried beans or rice on top of the foil to prevent the crust from rising. Bake for 15 minutes, then gently remove foil and pie weights and bake for an additional 5 minutes. The pie will still be very pale, set aside.
- While pie is baking in a large bowl whisk together heavy cream, milk, whole eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- In a large pot over medium- high heat add the pumpkin puree, cut up sweet potatoes, pumpkin pie spices, maple syrup, and granulated sugar. Cook for 5 minutes stirring and use a potato masher to mash the sweet potatoes down. The mixture should be “spitting” it will be very hot, lower the temperature to medium and continue cooking for 15 minutes until the mixture is cohesive, thick and shiny.
- Take the pot off of the heat, let cool for 5 minutes then add the cream mixture. Mix until fully combined. Then place a sieve over a bowl ( I like to use a bowl with a pour spout) and pour the pumpkin pie filling through the sieve this will catch any lumps.
- Your crust should be done at this point so pour the pumpkin pie filling into the crust and place the pie dish on a baking sheet. With oven still at 400F/205C bake for 10 minutes then reduce the temperature to 300F/148C and bake for an additional 30-40 minutes. I like to use my Thermapen mk4 to check that the pie is ready, the filling should register to 175F/79C. I then turn the oven off and prop the door open with a wooden spoon. So the pie can cool down slowly- this helps prevents cracks.
- Chill the pie in the fridge for at least 4 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream.
*Instead of Pumpkin Pie Spice you can use 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground ginger, 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves.
Recipe adapted from: Cooks Illustrated
Keywords: pumpkin pie recipe, easy pumpkin pie, the best pumpkin pie