Fluffy dinner rolls made from scratch can be made a day ahead of time. These yeasted dinner rolls are baked to golden brown perfection and have the best buttery flavor. Perfect for Thanksgiving, Christmas or Sunday night dinner.
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Water
- 3 Tablespoons Bread Flour
- 4oz (1/2 Cup) Cold Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- 250 Grams (2 Cups) Bread Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Rapid Rise Yeast
- 1 Tablespoons + 1 Teaspoon Granulated Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter softened and cut into 4 pieces
- 1–2 Tablespoons Land O Lakes® Soft Squeeze™ Spread for brushing on top of the rolls
- Extra Land O Lakes® Soft Squeeze™ Spread for spreading inside rolls
- Place the water and flour in a small bowl and set the bowl on top of a saucepan of simmering water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. Whisk the mixture for 2 to 3 minutes until the mixture thickens to a smooth pudding-like texture.*
- In the bowl of a stand mixer add the flour paste and milk then whisk to combine. Next whisk in the egg, then add the flour and yeast. Attach the dough hook and mix on low to medium speed just until combined- 1 to 2 minutes. Let the dough stand for 15 minutes.
- Once the dough has rested for 15 minutes add the granulated sugar and salt then mix for five minutes on low speed. After five minutes with the mixer still on low add the softened butter, 1 piece at a time. Continue mixing for five more minutes scraping down the side of the bowl and the dough hook as needed. Spray a large bowl with vegetable oil and set aside.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work surface and knead the dough to form a ball. Place the dough in the prepared bowl with the seam side facing down. Spray the top of the dough with a bit of vegetable oil, then place a tea towel or plastic wrap on top of the bowl. Set it aside to rise for roughly an hour, until the dough has doubled in size.**
- Once the dough has doubled in size transfer the dough to the flowered work surface. Grease a 9-inch pan and set aside.
- Use your hands to pat and stretch the dough to form an 8″ x 9“ rectangle. With the 8″ side facing you cut the dough in half lengthwise, then cut each half in half again to create four long strips. Then cut the dough the opposite way into thirds to create 12 equal pieces of dough.
- Take one piece of dough and stretch the dough to form an 8 “x 2“ strip. Roll the dough up into a cylinder shape and place the dough in the prepared pan, with the seam side of the dough face down. Repeat with all pieces of dough and cover the pan with plastic wrap or a tea towel and let rise again until doubled 35 to 55 minutes.
- When the dough is ready to bake preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C. Bake the rolls on the lowest rack in the oven for 22 to 28 minutes, or until a deep golden brown. Let the bread cool on a wire rack for five minutes then place a tablespoon or two of Land O Lakes® Soft Squeeze™ Spread on top and use a pastry brush to brush it all over the tops of the rolls. Serve with Land O Lakes® Soft Squeeze™ Spread.
- *You can also microwave whisking every 20 to 30 seconds.
- ** I turn my oven on to 200°F/93°C and then turn it off immediately then place the dough inside the oven to rise.
- Rolls can be reheated in a 350°F/ 180°C oven. Wrap the rolls in foil and bake for 10 minutes.
Recipe Slightly Adapted: Cooks Illustrated
Keywords: homemade bread rolls, bread rolls from scratch, how to make bread rolls