Fresh Lemon Juice, Fresh Lemon Zest and Lemon Extract make these Chewy Lemon Cookies bursting full of lemon flavor. You will love this lemon cookie recipe.
I’ve made lemon cookies before, twice on my blog actually. While I am a chocoholic 99.9% of the time, occasionally I love a good lemon treat. And lemon is a fabulous flavor for a cookie, it breaks up all the dare I say it? Chocolate. But often times when you find a lemon cookie its flat and crisp or thick and cakey. While I personally enjoy all types of cookies, I ain’t one to judge, I like ’em all! When I made these I was in the mood for a chewy cookie.
So I set out to make a thickier but not cake like chewy lemon cookie.
I was very happy with the results.
I let the cookies chill in the fridge overnight which I feel helped enhance the lemon flavor. I use lemon zest, lemon juice and lemon extract in these cookies cuz gosh darnit I want the lemon to scream!
These are the type of cookies you eat like 10 and think it’s only been like 2 cookies but wonder where the heck the rest disappeared to
I originally was going to drizzle the cookies with a lemon glaze but knew I was short on time so I rolled the cookies in powdered sugar for fun.
Some other Lemon Cookies I posted on my blog look very similar to these cookies but these are more chewy cookies.
I took these Chewy Lemon Cookies to a bbq and they disappeared way faster than I expected, thank god I had some at home before the bbq otherwise I wouldn’t have had any!
Fresh Lemon Juice, Fresh Lemon Zest and Lemon Extract make these Chewy Lemon Cookies bursting full of lemon flavor
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, at room temp.
- 1 large egg yolk, at room temp.
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp lemon extract
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup powdered sugar for dunking cookies
- In the bowl of an electric mixer beat butter for 1 minute. Add in granulated sugar, mix until combined then beat for an additional minute. Add in egg and yolk and beat for 3 minutes. Add in vanilla and lemon extracts, fresh lemon juice and zest. Continue mixing until fully incorporated.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, salt, cornstarch, baking powder and baking soda.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the butter mixture. Chill dough for at least 3 hours or up to 4 days.
- Using a cookie scoop place 2tsp of dough roll together then dunk in powdered sugar. Place on a baking sheet at 325 for 9-11 minutes until cookies are just set. Set the cookie sheet on a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Store cookies in an air tight container for up to 3 days.