Lemon Cupcakes & Lemon Cream Frosting make a delightful summer cake. Easy Lemon Cake mix is topped with a light lemony cream cheese frosting finished with fresh berries. Lately I have been on to the whole lemon kick more than my normal chocolate kick. In fact it’s been quite a while. Something about lemon it is just so refreshing. Lemon frosting are my favorite. This frosting is a cream cheese whipped cream infused with fresh lemon zest & juice. It is DIVINE. As in I want to use it as my only frosting ever. I absolutely hate store-bought cake frosting. You know those cakes/cupcakes you get from the grocery store with that nasty over the top sweet, fake tasting frosting? UGH I hate it.
Well the day before I made these someone bought a cake and I felt obliged to at least take a bite even though I knew it would be dreadful. Needless to say, I couldn’t get that awful taste out of my mouth so I HAD to make my own frosting to cancel it out.
It’s kind of like my constant battle between sweet and salty, I get home from work have some cheese and crackers overdo it a bit so I need a slice of chocolate but then I overdo it on the chocolate so I need the cheese again… it is a vicious cycle. And by vicious, I mean the tastiest best cycle ever!
You could totally make from scratch lemon cupcakes but I felt lazy and used a box and I am so glad I did. The cupcakes were super lemony and that lemon frosting…wow!Print
Lemon Cupcakes & Lemon Cream Frosting make a delightful summer cake. Easy Lemon Cake mix is topped with a light lemony cream cheese frosting finished with fresh berries.
- 1 box Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 small box Lemon Pudding Mix
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 cup sour cream/ greek yogurt
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
Lemon Cream Frosting
- 16oz Cream Cheese, at room temp.
- 1 scant cup powdered sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake tin with liners, set aside.
- In a large bowl/bowl of electric mixer combine cake mix, pudding mix, lemon juice, oil, sour cream and eggs until no lumps or flour streaks remain.
- Fill liners 2/3 full with batter and bake for 15-18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes then place cupcakes on wire rack to cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment beat cream cheese for two minutes. Add in powdered sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest and mix until fully combined. With mixer on slowly whisk in heavy whipping cream mix until nice and fluffy. Pipe on to cupcakes and garnish with fresh berries. Store in fridge.