I have my days living in southern california, 90% of the time I feel so blessed and lucky to have the surroundings I do but then some days, like when I think about it has only rained like twice in the last year ( and that is no exaggeration) I get sad we don’t have seasons. I have always wanted to watch “the leaves change” in fact, one year I specifically booked my NYC trip around it, and did we see leaves change? The few days before we go there they were having record heat and then when we got there it dropped to snow!! Where did fall go? I missed it some how. Guess I’ll have to plan another trip and try to catch it!! So for now I will just bask in the scorching hot sun!! OR stay inside with the AC on 😉
One of my favorite cakes ever is Coffee Cake, and not the American breakfast coffee cake, the English actual cake, no crumble, coffee flavored cake and coffee flavored frosting… cake.
When I was in Australia a few weeks ago we made my Nan’s delicious coffee cake. I devoured it. Literally, I finished the cake off. Oops. Anyways, I got to thinking about how great the coffee flavored frosting was and wondered why I don’t use coffee flavored frosting more often. So I did. With chocolate cake, and added some salted caramel for good measure. I mean what doesn’t become better with salted caramel. If you’re wondering, the answer is nothing. Salted caramel makes everything better. I took these into work and they were gone in no time. In fact I went to have one (I already had one earlier) and there were none left. Imagine my disappointment!!
- 1 box Chocolate cake mix
- 4 large eggs, at room temp.
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 2 1/2-3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a cupcake pan with liners.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine cake mix, eggs, greek yogurt, milk and oil until fully combined- but do not over mix. Fold in chocolate chips then pour batter into cupcake liners, filling 2/3rds full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Once cupcakes are completely cool start frosting. Beat butter for 3 minutes. Add vanilla extract, powdered sugar and heavy cream. Beat on low until powdered sugar is combined then beat on high for 4minutes. Fold in rainbow chips and pipe or spread onto cupcakes