I have a weird relationship with cook books I NEED to have them. I buy tons on amazon and then amazon goes ahead and suggests another cookbook I need. It is a vicious cycle! The problem is I look at them ooh and aww and then the book is put on the shelf. Rarely touched.
So my new goal is to bake/cook something from a cook book at least once a week. I bought the Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook a while ago, and while I absolutely LOVE visiting Milk Bar every time I am in NYC the cookbook has not been used. Until now! I already planned to make cinnamon rolls for my birthday morning so I decided to add bagel bombs to the menu.
These are SO easy to make and SO delicious. Seriously amaze!
Brush these babies with an egg wash, sprinkle some cheese on and bake!Print
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1/2 packet yeast
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 5 oz bacon
- 16 oz cream cheese
- 3 scallions thinly sliced
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup good quality cheese grated
- Stir together flour, salt and yeast in the bowl of electric mixer. Add water and continue mixing. The mixture will come together in a “shaggy mass”. Put the dough hook on and mix for 3 minutes or until the dough is smoother and in one big ball. Continue to knead dough for 4 more minutes on low speed. The dough should bounce back when prodded.
- Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and place dough in bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let dough rise at room temperature for 45 minutes. Then you can use your dough or if making ahead of time place it in an airtight container at least double its size and place in fridge until using. When ready to use let dough sit at room temp 30-45minutes before using.
- Beat cream cheese until light and fluffy 3-4 minutes.
- Cook bacon till nice and crisp, then cut into small pieces. Combine bacon fat in with cream cheese.
- Mix in scallions, sugar, salt and bacon pieces. Place mixture in an 8X8 pan and freeze for at least 1 hour or over night.
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a baking sheet with silpat liner. On a dry countertop punch down dough and then divide into 16 equal pieces. Gently stretch each piece of dough into a mini disc shape between 2-3 inches wide. Take cream cheese mixture out of freezer and cut into 16 equal chunks. Place one chunk of cream cheese on the middle of dough disc. Pinch dough together to fully enclose cream cheese, roll dough between hands to ensure fully closed.
- Crack and egg and whisk it for 1 minute. Brush egg mixture on top of bagel bombs and sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 20-30 minutes.
Recipe Source: Momofuku Milk Bar Cookbook